Member update – IMO Marine Environmental Protection Committee
IMO’s Marine Environmental Protection Committee (MEPC) met during the week of 3-7 July 2023 in London. ICHCA was represented by members: James Hookham and Aime Harrison.
The main topic was a revised IMO strategy for the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from ships. This strategy will determine the pace at which shipping lines and port terminals need to adapt their operations to the use, storage and handling of low-carbon and zero-carbon marine fuels. Other items discussed of possible interest to ICHCA interests were:
- Amendments to Marpol Annex 1 to adapt the provisions for low flashpoint fuels to include low- and zero-carbon fuels.
- Technical revisions to the IMO Ship Fuel Oil Consumption Data Collection System, the Guidelines on compliance with the EEXI measure.
- Changes to, and commissioning of further work on the Ballast Water Management Convention
- Adoption and consideration of various designated sea areas as ‘Emission Control Areas’ or ‘Particularly Sensitive Sea Areas’
- Entry into force of the Hong Kong Convention on the Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships, following accession of Bangladesh and Liberia