The Cargo Integrity Group main participants:
The “Cargo Integrity Group” builds on work commenced by a grouping of industry associations to raise awareness and greater uptake of the CTU Code (the IMO/ILO/UNECE Code of Practice for Packing of Cargo Transport Units) 2014 edition.
The industry associations joining with ICHCA on this initiative are:
- Global Shippers’ Forum
- TT Club
- World Shipping Council (WSC)
- Container Owners Association (COA)
In recent months the grouping has started communicating with other relevant organisations including:
- International Chamber of Shipping
- and Danish Shipping
At a joint meeting held at the offices of WSC and Danish Shipping, the group agreed 10 important workstreams that are to be developed as resources permit.
These workstreams (in brief) are:
- developing messages and content to inform shippers about the basics of the Code and the top 10 risky cargo types;
- looking at existing terms and conditions of carriage and whether changes can be recommended;
- a revision cycle for the CTU Code and IMO circulars pertaining to it;
- supporting the IMO, ILO and UNECE in development of an app;
- develop submissions to relevant bodies on revision of Dangerous Goods Special Provisions;
- undertake a mapping exercise between HS commodity Codes and UN DG numbers;
- consider contributing to the WCO (World Customs Organization) review of SAFE;
- consolidate guidance for cargo screening operatives;
- support and participate in the work at CCC on MSC circular revision;
- participate in the planned CTU Code Review and improve guidance to parties on pest contamination and container cleanliness.
As each workstream is developed the website will be updated and also noted in ICHCA’s publications.
The core group is being further widened to include key industry bodies who were invited to a launch of the new “CTU Code “A Quick Guide” incorporating a “Check-list” for packers of Freight Containers in September 2020