IMDG Code Amendment 40-20 is now mandatory
ICHCA is grateful for the hard work and input from members of the Dangerous Goods Working Group, chaired by Les Richings, and particularly Will Bartle from ICHCA member Exis Technologies for updating The International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG) Code booklet (BP3) in line with Amendment 40-20.
IMDG Code Amendment 40-20 became mandatory on 1 June 2022 after a delay due to the Covid pandemic. It will remain in force until 31 December 2023. Amendment 41-22 can be used voluntarily from 1 January 2023. See the IMDG Code Amendment Cycle below:
An overview of the changes in this Amendment can be found on the Exis website under the free IMDG Code resources section here: https://existec.com/product/free-imdg-code-resources/. There is also a more detailed summary of the changes available to download via this link.
Note however, the International Maritime Organization recently published a Corrigenda to this Amendment, a brief summary of which can be found below:
- Minor edits to the Classification provisions in Part 2
- Minor edits to the Special provisions including a new SP399 applicable to DETONATORS, ELECTRONIC
- Minor changes to the DGL to reflect the addition of SP399 and also deletion of SW1 from UN 1056
- New 184.108.40.206 (amalgamating 220.127.116.11.1 and 18.104.22.168.2)
- Minor edits to packing instructions P802, IBC08, LP622 and LP906
- Change to the dangerous goods description examples in 22.214.171.124.4
- Clarification to the wording for segregation in relation to foodstuffs in 126.96.36.199 by adding reference to the specific segregation groups applicable
- Update to the competent authority details for France, Germany and Spain in 7.9.3
The full Corrigenda can be found on IMO’s website here: https://wwwcdn.imo.org/localresources/en/publications/Documents/Supplements/English/QM200E_180522.pdf
Further details on Exis courses relating to dangerous goods can be found here: https://ichca.com/training/imdg-code-shore-side-e-learning-amdt-40-20 ICHCA members are entitled to a discount on Exis courses.