ICHCA’s privileged NGO status at IMO, ILO, ISO and other key UN agencies allows us to monitor, contribute to, and influence the development of regulations and guidelines that impact cargo handling and movement worldwide.
ICHCA’s NGO work includes organising member delegations to attend IMO and other meetings, taking part in expert correspondent and working groups; and reporting back to members and the industry at large on the progress of new and amended legislation.
Over many decades, ICHCA has played a significant role in ensuring that the voice of the cargo handling industry is represented in the development of new legislation and regulatory guidelines.
Our recent and current NGO campaign work covers a number of major regulatory items, including:
- New IMO SOLAS Convention requirements on verification of container weights
- The new IMO/ILO/UNECE Code of Practice on Packing of Cargo Transport Units
- Liquefaction of bulk cargoes and MARPOL Annex V
- Approved Continuous Examination Programme (ACEP) for containers
- Thorough examination of ships’ lifting appliances
- IMDG and IMSBC Code amendments
Members are welcome to join one of our delegations and/or take part in supporting working and correspondence groups. Contact us to register your interest.